Saturday 31 December 2011

Is a UK National Citizen Service scheme for 16 year olds is a good idea? 15th August 2011


Group created to discuss whether bringing in a structured voluntary UK National Citizen Service scheme for 16 year olds is a good idea or not?



A.J.B.W.
No

J.A.M.
No

S.F.
Why not? I would think it is a great idea!

A.J.B.W.
Its voluntary, therefore those who actually need it will probably not volunteer for it.
What about education, aren't some kids at school when their 16.

If it was done a a part of a punishment, I would agree.

R.F.
I've no objections, save that there should be such schemes in place for people of all ages rather than just the young.

S.F.
True R.F
B.B.
 If optional yes, if not, no

R.B.
How about offering incentives for people doing Voluntary work Rather than the current System which seems to penalise people on benefits who want to volunteer, also there should be more things like princes’ trust and Fairbridge for older people

A.J.B.W.
But there are schemes like this running. Over 150000 people volunteer with CSV (Community Service Volunteers) every year.

I just don't see the point if it’s optional.

S.F.
I always thought a compulsory civil service would be excellent. Could be done after the youngs have finished studying whatever their age is then.

A.J.B.W.
A thing like this is what youth who have been in trouble need. Rather than exclude them in society, show them that society can give them the stability to reach their potential.

There was a rehabilitation unit in the Highlands. It was run by ex Paras. Although expensive to run, the re-offending rates were minimal. It was closed because it was too expensive.

If we want the next generation to be valuable assets to the country, we need to invest in them. Nurture their talents. Allow them to make mistake.


S.F.
That could give an invaluable life/work experience to lots of young people and help some of them to develop their skills as well as their community sense and feel a sense of belonging.

A.J.B.W.
I was a little sh*t when I was younger. A right little sh*t. But, looking back, it was because I had no focus in my life, nothing to aim for.
I think young people need focus or direction in their life, be it academic and/or socially.

S.F.
Were you Alan? Because you seem very tolerant now!

R.B.
Many Young People Who enter the penal system end up trapped in a vicious circle, they should focus more on guiding them in the Right direction and helping them build a better life for themselves once they leave

A.J.B.W.
I spend 12 years as a medic in the Army. It opened my eyes to what really matters.

A.J.B.W.
So true Robert. I have close friends who have spend most of their life in the jail. They just can't get out of the circle that they are in. All of them became heroin addict in jail...

S.F.
So you also think that the system is too soft? Gordon was saying the same thing the other day and he did time apparently.

A.J.B.W.
Soft is maybe not the correct word. But it’s easy manipulated.

Going to Jail is not soft though. It is hell.


A.J.B.W.
I should explain that I spend 28 lovely days in Her Majesty’s Pleasure for refusing to pay a fine I had for not paying my TV licence...


R.B.
Also I feel if there were More Options like Raleigh and V.S.O Made available these can often do a-lot of good I've seen young people a lot of them with the same backgrounds as those in the riots they have bleak outlooks on their lives for all sorts of reasons 2where they come from etc


S.F.
Alan I cannot believe you went to prison for such a minor issue???!!

A.J.B.W.
I was younger and in a bad place. I had just left the Army...and I ended up homeless..ended up getting a council flat but for a couple of months I had no TV.

But eventually I decide to get one, but the TV Licence people didn't believe I had gone a couple of months without a TV and wanted me to pay for those months. I refused then eventually summoned to Paisley District Court

I got charged, pleading innocent and £375. I told the Magistrate that I wasn't going to pay the fine so he put me in Greenock nick for 28 days.


D.C.
So Fi, that's what happens in the UK...

S.F.
I cannot believe it, I read every day in the papers that people who are culpable of assault go probation?? There is a real problem with consistency within the judicial system.

R.B.
R.E cont from my above post I,e "I'm a 20 yr old black guy from Brixton with no qualifications who's gonna give me a job? What Chance do I Have In life?" They go to somewhere like India or Borneo for 10 weeks Working on various Environmental, Community and Adventure projects and come back with a completely different outlook and Something on their C.V which looks good to Employers - I know Innocent are one of these companies that look for these things on c.vs

A.J.B.W.
...probably not the best decision I have ever made. But being in jail was one hell of an experience.

The first thing the Prison Guard said to me was "Your are the first person to come to this jail in 5 week who does not have an alcohol or drugs problem.


S.F.
I understand your reaction on the licence fee thread a few weeks back now! I always thought that the threatening letters we receive when we're late to pay our bill were OTT but I did not really believe anything could really happen in case I would not pay...


D.C.
Alan your experience sounds horrible. Did you get any help from the Army about Civvie Street?


R.B.
Richard Reed On Raleigh <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHP0skOAVIo&feature=player_embedded#at=43>

<http://www.raleighinternational.org/about-raleigh/awards-and-recognition..>

D.L.
The support is SO limited for ex service people and man it sucks.........


D.L.
They are good Alan but like you said charities NOTHING from the government.


A.J.B.W.
No Dylan. I found that Government agencies did not care. Charities such as British Legion and SSAFA are the only agencies which helped me.
But in the defence of the Government, I left the Army in an unorthodox fashion.

I’ve deleted my previous comment. To those who read it, I hope you understand why I deleted it.


A.J.B.W.
Ty S.F.:-)


M.H.G.
So Fi, Being sent to prison for refusing or not being able to pay a fine or Council Tax is quite a normal occurrence.


D.C.
I do understand Alan. The forces charities like SSAFA, BL, AWS ect are fantastic but clearly there still needs to be more done to help those leaving the forces but also to the ones already on Civvie Street. Luckily my family is pretty big so there will be a lot of support (I hope) when my dad leaves the Army and we as a family can support him, but I know many singles struggle to make the change from an army life to a normal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment