Sunday 1 January 2012

Should organ donation be an opt out scheme?




Department of Health says compulsory question about donation is aimed at giving people more opportunities to sign up report the Guardian.


Should organ donation be an opt out scheme whereby the assumption that organs can be use be used for transplant unless the person specifically say no?




Department of Health says compulsory question about donation is aimed at giving people more opportunities to sign up



F.A.
Absolutely, but only opt outs available for issues of conscience.


E.L.
I think the question you should ask yourself is Would I accept a organ if I needed it .It isn't law even now if you sign to donate, a member of your family can still refuse.,so what happens if the licence says to donate can the family still refuse


J.B.
If organ donation was compulsory apart from, as Fraser said, religious reasons then many more lives would be saved. I don't need any of my organs when I die so why not let them be used.


F.A.
Each person should have a right to refuse treatment however when you're dead i see no reason, other than for religious or conscience reasons, why a body should not automatically be put to good use.

And on a related point blood donation should be compulsory too with the same exceptions of course. and let gay and bi sexual people donate too.

A.J.B.W.
Fraser did I read that right. Are you saying that Gay and bisexual people can't donate?


F.A.
Nope, too much of a threat apparently. evil evil aids. it's disgraceful.


F.A.
although scotland plans to change it to allow it. . . . oh provided the man in question has been sexually inactive for 10 years! it's one of the few remaining examples of discrimination

A.J.B.W.
Honest to God, that is totally outrageous!! Its not bloody 1980s! I believe that Aid is now more prevalent in heterosexuals than gay or bi?

I am genuinely shocked by that.

Actually I am rather angry about it. Imagine how they'd feel if they were refused to be able to donate because of their sexuality, How humiliated would they feel...


A.J.B.W.‎
"oh provided the man in question has been sexually inactive for 10 years! it's one of the few remaining examples of discrimination"

That actually makes it worse..


F.A.
 I think in terms of numbers yes it's more common in the heterosexual community but (whilst i hate to be crude) anal sex is the method most likely to lead to transmission of the virus and as a % i think it's more prevalent in the gay & bi community.

however the period of time required for antibodies to develop in the blood to allow detection of HIV is 12 weeks so i don't see why 4 months abstinence and then a screening couldn't be implemented. it's not perfect but it's better than it is just now.


F.A.
ideally only HIV+ individuals shouldn't be able to donate but everyone else should and then all the blood could be screened afterwards . . . . oh no wait i forgot all blood is already screened after donation.


F.A.
As you can probably tell this gets me pretty angry too lol.


E.L.
My husband had a double lung transplant and I'm sure if he was here now he would tell you he would have gladly accepted them from a gay person .


A.W.
I always thought syringes was the most common method of contracting diseases. I could be wrong.


F.A.
That's another bit where it gets bizare. gay men can't donate blood but the nhs will happily take the organs.


F.A.
I think there is a restriction on intravenous drug users too.


R.B.
I thought you did all-ready


A.P.
Why not just another thing the government will own,they will probably bring in an opt out tax..


S.S.
Should definitely be an opt in scheme.


W.M.
should be ot out scheme


E.L.
Opt in or out if you die a family member can change the decission,well at the moment they can . The transplant team say more important is you discuss it with your next of kin


Al.W.
I see nothing wrong with this idea at all. As is being said, an opt out scheme would be better imo


Al.W.
Eleanor - I never realised that until someone told me a few weeks ago. I think it's disgraceful. If you've signed up for a donor card, then no-one should be able to over ride that unless there are very exceptional circumstances (such as suspected foul play)


E.L.
I once had a stall outside a big store with forms to appeal for donors a guy wanted one and he ended up with him and his wife arguing that if he went first she would dispute it ,how can people go against someones wishes I'll never know but sadly true


R.F.
Alan v Fraser was a big old misunderstanding, in case anyone still hasn't figured that out. As for opt in/opt out - I don't think any person's intention should ever be assumed. Donation is an act of intentional charity, and I really think it should stay that way, or else our own individual will becomes devalued.


W.M.

it gets worse my brother died at 16 because he was considered a minor they would have to have parental consent even though he carried a donor card.
At the time of his death my mother was away and he was in my care and they wouldnt accept me giving permission, in spite of him carrying the card and me being his immediate family, it really is a nonsense system.
An opt out scheme where the onus is on families to opt out for whatever objections they have other wise a presumption of consent is in place would be the best system.

G.T.
Compulsory would work for me. If it saves lives then what could you possibly have against it?


F.A.
Misunderstanding robert? i thought alan and i were in total agreement throughout. or are you saying my understanding of donation restrictions is inaccurate?


F.A.
re individual will, i don't see what will you or i could have after we're dead. that's why i'd support compulsory donation of organs upon death and compulsory blood donations throughout our lives. with the caveat that genuine matters of conscience would allow exemptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment